Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Rabbit Hash

When I was in high school people used to go to Rabbit Hash when they got their drivers license just because they could. I never did. I suppose it was because it was a lifetime away in my perspective and once you got there, there wasn't anything to do.

About a month or so ago I bought this book Adventures Around Cincinnati. I'm not going to lie, when I bought it I was vain and thought I would just be refreshing all the cool places in Cincinnati that I have already discovered since becoming a mother. There were a few of the usual ones, but there were also quite a few new ones that I hadn't discovered and a few I knew about but didn't realize their potential. In the book I read about Rabbit Hash, Kentucky and have since got that idea in my mind that our little family must take a trip to this river town and dine on BBQ and visit the unique little general store.

A few weeks went by that didn't work out but last weekend we ventured down there on a whim. My husband's best friend's (whom happens to be dating my best friend, Riley's Godparents, and lives next door Whew! that was a lot) garage door was open when we were heading out to the car, so we asked them if they wanted to go and they joined us.


To the contrary of my high school beliefs the town was only about 30 minutes from our home, not a lifetime. I don't think I would have appreciated all it's uniqueness and beauty when I was in high school either, so I'm kind of glad I didn't go then.

My girls found treasures all over including a sleeping cat in a shed.



I'm not sure if it's an every weekend occurrence or not, but there were many bikers that came down to enjoy homemade BBQ from a little BBQ stand on the river and enjoy the view of the Ohio.

The day couldn't have been more beautiful. The sun was shining and summer was making it's grand entrance. Although the weather was quite warm; it was complimented by a perfect breeze from the river.


It was nice to slow down to almost a crawl and enjoy all the small things that add up to one big thing.




The general store is the main attraction, the center of town, the big to-do, the place to be. It holds up to the hype too and delivers. It's full of candy, refreshments, and unique one of a kind wonders.










I was talking to a friend about something and I wasn't even sure of the context, but I was talking about how I want my girls to experience as many memories and they possibly can in their childhood and lifetime. I want to expose them to as many places, environments, and experiences now so when they grow up they know what things, places, and interests they want to further explore. They can live downtown in the city or in little river towns because they will hopefully have a glimpse of what it was like from their childhood. My friend brought up the very valid point that my children may not even remember these experiences, especially at their young ages. It was be true, but I have these photographs and this blog to remind them of all the fun adventures we go on and hopefully it was spark the memories that we create on days like these.

It was definitely a fun little half day trip and I'd enjoy coming to drink a beer and eat some homemade BBQ along the river again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails