Thursday, June 16, 2011

Unconditional Love

I try to stay away from things on my blog that are related to politics or religion, but sometimes they just come up. I have my own personal beliefs about things, and think that everyone that is educated on the topic should be entitled to their own opinions as well. I don't agree with pushing religion onto others and believe strongly in the, "they will know we are Christians by our love" philosophy.

I have a little side story to bring truth to that:

One time many years back when I was still in high school I helped a man that was on the street. I didn't have to help him and could have waited for the next person, but that is not what Christ would have done, so when I helped him with no mention of religion, the man said to me: "You're a Christian aren't you?" and then I proudly told him that I was.

Sometimes though I just can't stay away from it, because it's who I am and this blog is about me and my girls and this post is about my faith, so if you're not interested, I can respect that. But here it goes.

I had a rough day today.

I was reminded (by myself and others) that I am not perfect. I make mistakes, mess things up, and do things wrong sometimes.  We all do.

Sometimes I'm too hard on my children, say unkind things to my husband, and hurt the one's I love. We all do.

But you know what? I try my hardest to be positive, work hard, be a good person, mom, and wife and to love like Jesus would love. And the trying part? The trying part is what matters.

When I was a young one in Catholic school religion class, I thought it was the coolest thing when I learned that a sin in God's eyes is when someone consciously disobeys or chooses to do the wrong thing. Even cooler is that when we consciously disobey  we can still ask for forgiveness and God loves us anyway. God knows that we are not perfect and that we sin and make mistakes, but he loves us anyway. I wish I could love like God. I wish I could love everyone regardless of their choices or their mistakes. It all comes back to love; John Lennon said it best when he spoke the words of wisdom, "All you need is love."

I know I wasn't sinning today when I made mistakes because I wasn't consciously choosing to do the wrong things, it's just that I'm human. God knows that too.

I can't say the same for when I act unkind to my husband or my children sometimes, but I can ask for forgiveness and he loves me anyway, and my girls love me regardless of my mistakes. That's a pretty incredible thing to have someone love you like God loves you, unconditionally, even when you consciously make a decision to say or do hurtful things.

The point I'm trying to make through all this is that the only opinions of me that matter in the end are myself, my family, and the Lord, and they already love me unconditionally, so I'm pretty lucky. As far as everyone else, I hope that they can see that I try to be a good person, hard worker, and hippy that believes love could save the world. 

Lets all celebrate our mistakes and embrace them as learning opportunities not to repeat  and as ways to grow.

1 comment:

  1. GREAT POST!! I really needed that today! :) Have a GREAT weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails