Friday, March 25, 2011

I have a lot to say.
I sometimes have trouble getting it all down.
Sometimes I can't find the words, and sometimes I just can't find the time.
It's usually the later.

My life has been packed to the fullest this week, and I just now realized that tomorrow is Friday, because it has gone by that fast.

Raigan had her 15 month check up yesterday and she is 22 lbs 4 ounces which puts her in the 45th percentile for weight and 31 inches which puts her in the 17th percentile for height.


Riley was always super ahead of all developmental delays, and I'm still under the assumption that Raigan and Riley are the same person and will do things at the same times. When will I learn?

Raigan still is not walking. She cruises and pushes walk toys but has yet to take more than a few steps independently. I thought it was a little late, but love that she is still my baby and doing things that babies do. When I told our pediatrician that it was a concern to me she said yeah, if she isn't walking by a month from now that they would begin some physical therapy at our home.

Sounded good, until... she began to ask about Raigan's other development and cognitive abilities. I'm not sure why, but it was like a punch in the stomach. Not that she was asking these question, but the fact that my baby has the same chances of having issues, troubles, struggles- frankly I don't even know what to call it, as any other child.

That motherly instinct/passion/fierceness began to churn within me and all these ideas began to swirl in my mind of ways that I can protect and help my baby. 

Very thankfully I was able to respond to our pediatrician that our sweet second born is excelling in every other developmental category. She speaks 3+ word sentences that are not super clear, but definitely identifiable by others, like:

"I want to get down!"
"Thank you"
"I want a dink" (I want a drink)
 "Take bath"

 Along with these phrases, her vocabulary is very extensive and she will repeat nearly every word you ask her to.

She follows directions and understands language and even follows suit behind her sister of saying "No" when she doesn't want to do something you ask. (I can wait until their both teenager)

She points, climbs, and crawls like mad, faster than I have ever seen any other baby.

We are right on track with everything but the walking thing, which I think may just be a confidence thing for her. I mean this child even knows how to unlock my iPhone and use it to an extent, I think we'll be just fine, but boy is a feeling like no other at the thought that something could possibly be wrong with your child.

I sometimes feel guilty about how I take our girls health and happiness for granted. Especially when I leave Cincinnati Children's Hospital where I'm doing my Leadership Practicum for school. But I squish that thought because I know I am always so grateful for it and that these little girls are apart of my life.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Meg, I know how you feel. I can remember worrying about my children's milestones as well. But let me tell you something...my 12 year old son who is now as tall as me, did not walk until he was 18 months old. He "cruised" around the table and the couch with ease. He "push walked" with his toys as well. I knew he could do it...but he just didn't want to. My second born who is 9 and growing like a weed, didn't walk until he was 15 months. He did the same things as your daughter does now..cruising and such. I can't believe the doctor even mentioned physical therapy. I really think that is silly. I just hope I can ease your fears. Even if it takes her a couple more months...she'll be fine!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails