Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Remi

I'm really excited to blog about this pretty amazing thing that happened yesterday.

I guess I have to backtrack a little for this story to make sense.

Raigan's first birthday party was last weekend and before the party a few of my dear friends asked me what Raigan wanted or needed for a birthday gift. With it being just after Christmas, our house was (and still is) flooded with toys and clothes and everything in between. So I asked them if they would just donate money to St. Jude because I am so grateful for our two beautiful healthy daughters.St. Jude is an organization that does amazing things and has a really large place in my heart.

My dear friend Tracy gave her a check to St. Jude to donate.

So, skip to yesterday morning. I was on break in between my classes in the computer lab at school looking online for the address to mail the check to St. Jude. As I was on their website there was a side article that had a picture of a super cute little baby named Remi (the name we had chosen for our baby had Raigan been a boy). I choose not to read about the St. Jude kids often and honestly have to turn the channel when the stories are on TV. It sounds horrible, but it just kills me inside and tears me up for days... weeks and I cannot get those children out of my thoughts and prayers. I don't want to look away but I have to because I'm so effected by it. I kept telling myself, "don't click on it. don't click on it."

So I clicked on it.

I sobbed in the computer lab reading his story and sent my husband this email:

I was online trying to find the address to mail that check that Tracy wrote for Raigan's birthday and there was a featured patient of the month and I tried with everything not to click it, but I had to because his name was Remi. I'm sitting here in the computer lab at school, crying. I clicked on it and the little boy's name is Remi and he is Raigan's exact age! That could have been our little Remi if we would have had a boy, isn't that so strange? God, he's so cute in his little picture. We are so blessed that it brings me to tears. He is fine though and cured of his cancer (in his eyes) because of St. Jude. Isn't that awesome? I think we should do more ya know? I love you and our beautiful healthy happy family!


I don't think things are just a coincidence. I think God puts things in our lives at just the right times. How amazing? Remi could have been our baby. He was born at the same time and shared the name with our unborn baby the same time his mother did. I am just forever grateful that my children are healthy and happy. Remi is finished with his treatments and can live a wonderfully long life and enrich the life of his parents and others thanks in large part to St. Jude.



Here is his story from St. Jude:

 

Remi
1 year old

 

 

Diagnosis:

Remi was found to suffer from bilateral retinoblastoma in February 2010.

Remi's story:

Remi's dad had a type of eye cancer called retinoblastoma when he was a child, so when Remi was born, his mother felt it important to have Remi checked for it, too. Her motherly instincts proved correct, when, at just 2 months old, tests revealed little Remi had tumors in both of his eyes.
Remi's mom remembered the devastation she felt upon learning her baby was suffering from cancer. "I felt like my whole world was crushed," she said. Remi's doctor quickly provided a referral to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

At St. Jude:

Remi began receiving chemotherapy. Because his disease was advanced, Remi was treated with three types of chemotherapy on a protocol designed to destroy the tumors in his eyes, with the hope of preserving his vision.
Remi's mom knows the research going on at St. Jude contributes to her son's chance of beating his disease. "I feel that Remi receives top-of-the-line treatment here. We're at the best place in the world," she said.
Remi has completed treatment and was able to return home this fall. He'll return to St. Jude for regular checkups.
Remi is a curious little boy who loves Sesame Street and playing with his toy train.

January 2011
 






Isn't he so stinkin' cute?!


http://www.stjude.org/waystohelp




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails