Saturday, November 13, 2010

Babywearing 102: Wraps

So in this post I talked about the benefits of baby wearing.

It makes for happier babies and happier moms.

Like I've said before, when I was first introduced into the world of baby wearing I was overwhelmed to say the least.

So in this post: my attempt at simplifying the types of baby carriers. In my mind (and I try to simplify everything for myself- because so much of my life is not simple), I think of there being 5 categories that carriers fall into.

* Wraps
* Slings
* Pouches
* Asian/ Mei Tais
* Structured Carriers

I also think of them as going in this order too from newborn to toddler even though each can usually be used for all age ranges. I just find it hard to throw a newborn into a Mai Tai or a toddler into a pouch but I put Riley (nearly 30 lbs) into a Moby Wrap last spring when we were in the Smokey Mountains.


WRAPS

Common Brand Names: Anaju, Ellaroo, Moby Wrap, Sleepy Wrap, Storchenwiege


Wraps are basically big long pieces of fabric. Most of the time they are stretchy, but some are woven or mesh (used for swimming). There are about 98359825 ways to wrap your body and baby up like Obi One Kenobi.


Your baby can face forward, outward, on your back, hip, chest, pretty much anywhere. Your baby can be snug or loose and the combination are endless with these wraps.There are about a million You Tube videos on the different ways to use these.


Personally, I love these type of baby carrier. They are so nice for all ranges of babies, are versatile, and are GREAT for you shoulders and back. It can be tricky to get them on sometimes and it's easier to put on before your out and just wear it out of the house.

1 comment:

  1. aw, your baby looks snug as a bug in a rug. Of course the baby would be way happier...it only makes sense...babies love to be held all the time if they could be..and this keeps them happy and content and feeling safe and snug.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails